Here's
the mariners compass I've been working on in my classes with Chris Jurd. I'd been a bit baffled as to what colour fabric I should sew it onto. I was thinking along the lines of blues ,the right shade of green, maybe a pale yellow...



Chris and I took it to the shelves of The Vintage Patch where our classes are held, and started our search... Lots of great choices but nothing really popped... Until this Kaffe Fasset purple dahlia fabric, which dosen't just pop but snaps and crackles as well! I would never have thought it but once we'd seen that combo everyhing else we tried just looked plain.


I haven't sewn the inner circles together yet... I'll make sure those green and white spots aren't near each other. I'm yet to do the teeny weeny circle for the middle, I'm thinking a little yellow flower, but I'll make up my mind when I've done the applique.


I've started cutting out the appliqué for the corners... This is where I'll be able to pull the colours together, and pick up some of the other less obvious colours throughout the compass.

I'm looking forward to seeing where this quilt takes me next!!


Cheerio