We have lift off!!

This is the quilt I've made for GBF's 2010 birthday... which was way back in May. I did get the top done in time, it's just the quilting part that daunted me. It's funny how I seem to think that leaving my tops in the cupboard for a long time will enable me to do wonderful, perfect quilting. But my quilt tops are piling up, and it's getting closer to the end of the year so I had to face facts and accept that only good old practice will give me the skills to finish my quilts.


So I made my sandwich with a zillion safety pins, set up my sewing machine for quilting and dusted the cobwebs off my quilting gloves. I began by stitching in the ditch around the blocks. When I started getting comfortable I put the free motion quilting settings on and went for it. At first I played around with some angular stippling then progressed to stars with loops. The more I did the more fun it became. I had planned to use Glow in the dark thread (YLI Brilliance) but it just kept breaking. It could've been the tension or needle but I didn't think it was worth persevering as the plasticy feeling of thread made it quite scratchy in the quilt. It'll be better saved for a wall quilt. It's a shame because the bit I did sew shines really well in the dark, along with the blue night sky fabric that has glow in the dark stars.


At one point I looked up and noticed GBF watching.
"Would you like a go?" I asked.
"Yes Please!!" was his enthusiastic reply.

Love that look of concentration and don't the yellow gloves suit him? He quilted for about 20 minutes before needing a break due to tired forearms. See, quilting is hard work!

Which reminds me of 2 things I really must remember when I quilt. They're things that everyone says but I must have thought I was exempt for some reason. Writing them down might help drum them into my head..

1 - Take breaks! Regular ones!! Don't sit there quilting thinking if you just keep going you'll get it finished sooner. Or else you end up with a tight neck and headache.

2- Warm up on a mini sandwich first. My quilting really improved as I warmed up. Its such a shame that you start quilting in the center of the quilt and work outwards. It means all the best quilting is on the edges.

I'll post photos of the whole quilt when I've finished the binding.


The spacey quilt is not the only thing I've quilted this week. Our Ipad needed a cover. It's a padded pocket with a flip over flap that can be tucked in. A nice easy, quick and simple project. It's so refreshing to finish something in an hour.

It was great to use this Echino linen and bicycle fabric, both from my overflowing cupboard of fabrics.

Okay, better get that binding done.

Cheerio.