Welcome to Friendly Friday- This week I'm featuring Suz of PatchworknPlay. We met when we were both participating in the Doll Quilt Swap 10. Suz made this amazing feathered star that made me sit up and take notice! but it's her down to earth, friendly nature, wonderful sewing projects and a mutual love of the Tour de France that has kept us chatting over time. Here's your chance to get to know Suz ...





Hi Suz, Tell us a bit about yourself?
I am a 50-something, left handed school teacher from Melbourne. I am a wife to Peter (30+ years!) and Mum to Ben 28 (29 in July) and Daniel 27.  Both my sons live in rented accommodation with their girlfriends. Peter is the cook (a wonderful one, at that!) of our little household, giving me lots of time to sew!

How long have you been quilting?
I made my first quilt - all by hand, when Ben was a baby! Plastic templates, sand paper, hand stitched and hand quilted.  I do not have that first quilt, it was faded and torn long ago.  I have been able to sew since I was a child- taught by my dear Mum on her old Singer. I remember making dolls clothes for my Barbie when I was about 8!


What enticed you to start quilting?
That is way to long ago to even remember! I have made many quilts over the years for family and friends, and still enjoy the process of creating something beautiful and functional at the same time.  Someone once said "Patchwork is the process of cutting up fabric into hundreds of little pieces and putting it all back together again" I was reminded of it recently when I was cutting out 700 pieces for a new quilt. Luckily I also enjoy jigsaw puzzles!!!


What do you love about quilting? Is there part of the process you don't like?
I love most of it- the WIDE range of fabrics available, the hunt for the perfect pattern, watching the jigsaw come together, hand quilting; I even love hand sewing the binding down...that last stitch is like an exclamation mark at the end of a sentence!  I'm not a big fan however, of basting or pressing- evil necessities!


Do you have a favourite sewing saying or motto?
My sewing mat says "On days I can stitch, my days go without a hitch". I like the sentiment of that...not always true but kind of sums it up!


What sewing machine do you use?
About two years ago I treated myself to a beautiful new computerised Juki F600- I love it!  I honestly don't know how I sewed on my little basic Brother- guess work, I think!



Do you listen to music while you sew? If so what?
I listen to music sometimes, but like my sewing style, its pretty eclectic! Bruce Springsteen gets lots of air time though. But as I live in a small apartment and sew in our bedroom the noise from the lounge room often interferes with my choice! I can follow lots of US cop shops just by listening! I am also a fan of Aussie Rules football so that often on in the background on the weekends.

Do I have any favourite foods?
With a son who is a chef and a husband who is a great cook himself, I love many foods!  Peter makes a yummy duck ragout, and his cakes are amazing!! (I'll have a slice of his banana and choc chip loaf when I finish this!) But a quick treat on the run, you can't go passed chocolate, can you?



Do you have any furry friends?
No, unfortunately not, because we live in a small apartment that's not possible.  I am a dog person, so if we could we'd have another beagle or a pug!

Tell us about the house block you made?
The block is not a big one- 6 or 7 inches from memory.  I actually made it differently at first but decided the walls and windows weren't right.  I am glad I changed it to include the little fairies in the windows.  I free pieced it, following some vague instructions off the computer screen!  Very much a spur of the moment creation!

I also like to make other things besides quilts- pouches, clothes, soft toys, cushions, embroidery and knitting! I love fabric and craft!


Thank you Suz, for such a wonderful house! I love those little fairies in the windows, and way the house looks as though it is lit up and inviting at night time. 
3 cheers for hubby Peter for doing all the cooking so you can make gorgeous things to inspire us. 
As for a furry friend what about a beagle crossed with a pug? How cute would a little Puggle puppy be?! 

Pop over to PatchworknPlay to see what other wonderful things Suz has been working on. 




Ps. If you're wondering what all the housey business is about - I put a call out for house blocks for a Bloggy Friendship Quilt I'm going to make. I'm doing a Friendly Friday post on everyone that makes a block as a way of everyone in the neighbourhood getting to know each other, and it's always fun to read about quilters! If you want to join in just let me know. The brief for the blocks is Any style, Any size, Any colours - it couldn't get easier than that!!